Best Prenatal Vitamins
Written by Dr. Jack Lee
Prenatal vitamins are not created equal. Brands differ greatly in ingredients, vitamin quality and price. After reading this article, you’ll be able to differentiate the good prenatal vitamins from the average.
Prenatal vitamins universally include:
- Folic Acid (400mcg-800mcg)- reduces a woman’s risk of having a child with a brain or spinal cord birth defect (e.g. spina bifida).
- Calcium (800mg-1000mg) - helps you and your child maintain a healthy bone density.
- Iron (17mg-27mg) - iron helps both the mother and baby’s blood carry oxygen. Helps you avoid anemia.
These ingredients are the backbone of any worthwhile prenatal vitamin because they protect your child from the most common birth defects. Taking a prenatal vitamin with just these three ingredients would be extremely beneficial, but there are other ingredients out there that will help your child develop normally and help you have a more comfortable pregnancy.
While there are many benefecial vitamins and minerals, we’d like to talk about the 5 most important. If your prenatal vitamin doesn’t include these ingredients, you may want to consider finding one that does.
- DHA (Docosahexaenoic acid)
- Pregnant women consume far too little DHA. This is shocking because so many studies proves its importance for prenatal, maternal and neonatal health. Studies have shown that supplementing DHA in a mother’s diet can improve a child’s eye-hand coordination, motor skills, attention span, intelligence and is even associated with more mature sleep patterns in infants. The recommended amount is 200mg.
- Probiotics may reduce the incidence childhood eczema of by 50%, according to a new study. Another study done by Finnish researchers confirms that probiotic supplements may reduce the frequency of gestational diabetes by 20 per cent (according to data published in the British Journal of Nutrition).
- CoQ10 (Coenzyme Q10)
- This potent antioxidant may reduce the risk of pre-eclampsia. In one study, women receiving 200 mg of CoQ10 a day had a 10 per cent lower risk of developing pre-eclampsia than women on a placebo.
The 5 Best Prenatal Vitamins of 2013
#1. Prenatalgyn – Best Overall Prenatal Vitamin 3 Years Straight!
|Potency & Quality:||98/100|
Prenatalgyn is the most advanced and most impressive prenatal vitamin that’s ever been available. By combining the most beneficial formula with a great price, both women and OBGYNs have rated Prenatalgyn the #1 prenatal vitamin for years. Prenatalgyn provides women 35 key vitamins and minerals that offer the best benefits you’ll ever get from a prenatal vitamin.
Prenatalgyn is the best all-natural way to combat morning sickness and is easy to digest. The body quickly absorbs every one of the ingredients to help keep both you and your baby as healthy as possible while you’re trying to get pregnant and throughout your pregnancy. This advanced prenatal formula utilizes scientific advancements to strengthen your baby’s immune system while preventing heartburn, constipation, cramping and nausea that come with being pregnant. Every bottle of Prenatalgyn is 100% GUARANTEED to help you and your little one.
#2. Trimedisyn – Most Complete Prenatal Vitamin
|Potency & Quality:||98/100|
Trimedisyn is rapidly becoming one of the most recommended prenatal vitamins. As the perfect combination of vitamins, minerals and probiotics, Trimedisyn has proven to be more effective at supporting both you and your baby than every other prenatal vitamin on the market today. The 12 clinically proven prenatal ingredients act as your body’s and your baby’s best friend during every stage of pregnancy to keep both of you as healthy as possible with a prenatal vitamin.
The easy-to-swallow caps have been perfectly developed with you in mind and contain every single ingredient for prenatal care you need including folic acid, calcium and iron. There’s never been a more extensively researched and tested prenatal vitamin and the ratings continue to show women love their results. Trimedisyn is the ultimate way to ensure you’re getting the proper nutrition before, during and after your pregnancy.
#3. Proviq – Best Value for a Prenatal Vitamin
|Potency & Quality:||96/100|
No other prenatal vitamin delivers better results for a great low price than Proviq. Proviq is perfectly priced and expertly developed to provide every benefit of higher-priced formulas for less than $25. Proviq provides the key doctor-recommended vitamins, nutrients and minerals for both baby and mother.
With 27 essential vitamins and minerals including folic acid, DHA and calcium, Proviq provides the healthy support you need. Proviq has been shown to help support healthy development for the fetus and enhance your health as a woman. Women agree there’s no better value available for a prenatal vitamin.
#4. One A Day Prenatal – Popular Prenatal Vitamin
|Potency & Quality:||96/100|
One A Day Prenatal is a great way to get the support you and your baby need for a healthy pregnancy and healthy development. One A Day is one of the best multivitamin manufacturers so it’s no surprise to see they’ve developed one of the best prenatal vitamins. You get a prenatal vitamin you can trust created just for you with Omega-3 DHA and high concentrations of iron and folic acid. Whether you’re just planning to get pregnant or already pregnant, One A Day is a great daily prenatal vitamin.
#5. Pre-Natal Care – Potent Care for You & Your Baby
|Potency & Quality:||89/100|
Twinlab’s Pre-Natal Care is a highly potent, highly concentrated prenatal nutrient supplement made with essential vitamins and minerals. Pre-Natal Care is packed with vitamins and minerals and completely free of fillers or potential irritants. The easily digestible capsules include only high-quality ingredients to enhance your health and keep your baby’s development on track and as healthy as possible.